Beets with Lemon and Almonds (Spring 2016)
Variation on a recipe from America's Test Kitchen
Prep/Cook time: 65 minutes
1 1/2 pounds beets, trimmed and cut in half horizontally
1 1/4 cups water (have more on hand)
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 green onion, sliced thin (white and green parts)
1/2 cup slivered almonds, or whole ones chopped (may use other type of nut) (garnish)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (garnish)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (garnish)
1. Place beets, cut side down, in a single layer in a straight-sided saute pan, dutch oven or electric skillet. Add water and 1/4 tea. salt; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until beets are tender and the tip of a paring knife inserted into the beets meets no resistance (40-60 min). (BTW, this is a good method for cooking beets whether or not you use this recipe.)
2. Transfer beets to a cutting board to cool some. Increase heat to medium-high and reduce cooking liquid, stirring occasionally, until the pan is almost dry (5-6 min). Watch carefully so the liquid does not burn.
3. Add vinegar and brown sugar; return to boil and cook, stirring constnatly with heat resistant spatula, until the spatula leaves a wide trail when dragged through the glaze, (1-2 min). Remove pan from heat.
4. When beets are cool enough to handle, rub off the skins with a paper towel or dish towel (WEAR GLOVES!), and cut into 1/2-inch wedges. Add beets, lemon zest, 1/2 tea. salt, and 1/4 tea. pepper to glaze and toss/mix to coat.
5. Transfer beets toa serving dish; sprinkle with onions (white and green parts), almonds/nuts, mint, and thyme.